Wednesday, January 1, 2014
Crosswalks & Crucial Conversations (2013 Lessons Learned)
I've learned quite a bit in 2013. Learning is a good thing and God knows, even with all I've learned, I still have a lot more that needs to get through my thick head! As the new year begins, I thought I would share a few of my "moments of enlightenment" from this past year:
1. Saying "moments of enlightenment" instead of "lessons learned" just makes you sound like a pompous ass (or a writer).
2. You don't leave a job. You leave a supervisor. (Good leadership is SO important.)
3. Saying "hi" to people you pass on the street is a lost art. Let's bring this art back.
4. If you have a job where you are paid to make a difference, it is a dream job. Be thankful for it, even when it gets tough.
5. Stop trying to BE right and instead, DO what is right.
6. Stephen King writes really good books that don't involve horror. (Try 11/22/63 and On Writing.). I wish he would write more.
7. Bananas last longer if you keep them in the refrigerator.
8. Hummingbirds love plain old sugar water.You do not need to buy the fancy red stuff.
9. Sometimes the best way to show someone you love them is to "call them out" when they are hurting themselves even if they think what they are doing is "no big deal."
10. Having a "crucial conversation" with someone means saying something that is hard to say in a way that the other person will hear you. In other words, it means saying it with love and humility.
Highly recommended book: Crucial Conversations on Amazon.com
11. "As Seen on TV" means "Use it Once, Then Toss."
12. There is a way to be unique at work, heck, just about anywhere. Say "Thank you."
13. Flannery O'Connor is a genius short story writer. Where have you been all my life, Flan? If you read nothing else in 2014, Read This!
14. Even if we don't acknowledge His presence, God is there. He's like a compassionate stalker who wants to ambush you with blessings.
15. Most of what we see with our eyes is actually "inferred" by our brains. This is scientific, not philosophical. Take the course "Understanding the Secrets of Human Perception" at www.thegreatcourses.com to learn more. Take the Class Here!
16. The word people like best is their name.
17. It takes courage to do the right thing. It is much easier to just go with the flow, but the flow is usually the "river of regret."
18. The reason why there is so much show-boating in sports is because we have lost appreciation for team-work, sportsmanship and class and decided to reward those who show-off with a TV clip, a "like" and endorsement contract.
19. The older I get, the more thankful I am for my childhood and all my parents did to help me on my way.
20. People do not seem to understand that you do not need to push the crosswalk button more than once. Pushing it impatiently over and over does not make it change any faster! (Spread the word.)
Thanks to those of you who have read my blog this past year and shared your comments and encouragement. I've had over 9,500 hits and written over 200 entries since I launched hopehorner.com. Here are the Top 5 most popular blog entries from 2013:
1. Shockingly Pink http://www.hopehorner.com/2013/10/shockingly-pink.html
2. Why Worry? (It's All Under Control. Mine.)
3. Hawk Squawk
4. The Law of Friendliness
5. The Forgotten Love Letter http://www.hopehorner.com/2013/09/the-forgotten-love-letter.html
Wishing you all the best in 2014!
Hope Horner, 2014
Feel free to forward, post and share this blog!
Contact Hope on gmail at hopeh1122